Woodstock Pride Fest is back this week and better than ever. Recently named one of the best Pride Fests in Illinois, a full schedule of activities is already underway leading up to the colorful Parade and Festival on the Square this Sunday, June 11.
With LGBTQ+ rights and safety under siege by reactionary forces, hate mongers, and opportunistic politicians around the county, Illinois has remained a bastion of unwavering support and the Woodstock Pride Fest as a beacon in once deep red McHenry County. This year drag performances and vulnerable transgender youth have both been special targets and both will celebrated at the Fest sponsored by Woodstock Pride supported by many community groups, welcoming communities of faith, businesses, the City of Woodstock, and McHenry County.
The 2022 Pride Fest crowd enjoys the entertainment of the Woodstock Square Gazebo.
Events this week include:
· Pride Art Show for the entire month of June at Warp Corp, 114 N. Benton Street. Youth and adult divisions. Prizes awarded.
· Woodstock PrideFest Rainbow Run, Saturday, June 10 in Emricson Park with check in at 10 AM with the first round of runners followed by a staggered start times. One loop, three color stations. This is a fun run or walk for all ages and abilities. Event is not timed, everyone is a winner. Tickets are $20 and include event T-shirt (first 200 registered) and eye wear is donated by Wolf Eye Care in Woodstock
· Pride Promenade 2023, Saturday, June 10 and Sunday, June11,12 to5 pm. Walk, drive, or bike through Woodstock to view our participating celebratory displays at residences and businesses. See Facebook invite.
· Woodstock Pride Fest Pub Crawl—The Most Colorful Pub Crawl in McHenry County, co-sponsored by D.C. Cobbs and the Chop Suey Hut, Saturday, June10 starting at 6 pm on Historic Woodstock Square. The Party starts with check-in at the Bandstand in the Park on the Square from 6 to 7 pm. Tickets are $25 and include 2 drink tokens. The first 200 ticket purchasers will receive free Woodstock Pride swag, WP Sticker and more. See Facebook invite.
· Pride Fest Parade and Festival, the main event on Sunday June 11th, starts with a parade at 11 am and a festival from 12-5 pm with food, entertainment, vendors and more! Free and open to the public. See Parade Route.
Tony Weaver of PFLAG and the Old Man at the Pride Fest booth we shared last year.
This year Tree of Life Unitarian Universalist Congregation in McHenry, a historically Welcoming Congregation, and staunch LGBTQ+ ally and supporter, will be all in at Pride Fest beginning with a special on-site worship service led by the Rev. Jenn Gracen on the Square by the fountain at 10:30 am to allow members to join the TOLUUC contingent in the Parade. There will be a truck and trailer and room for marchers. Wear rainbow Pride gear or Side of Love swag. Bring Pride flags to wave, bubbles to blow, and your smile. We will be offering glitter blessings at our booth all day and letting people know we are a spiritual home or gathering place for everyone.
Hope to see lots of folks there!